About Paramarth Mandir




History

In 1960, after the passing away of Shri Gurudev Ranade (3 July 1886 - 6 June 1957), a Trust titled 'Shri Gurudeo Ranade Paramarth Mandir' was formed in the honour and remembrance of Shri Gurudev under the initiative of the late Shri Bhaurao Apte (Retd. Dist. Judge, Jamkhandi).

The Trust was registered with the office of the Asst. Charity Commissioner Belgaum under Reg. No. A 1716 Bijapur. The Trust office was housed in the very residential house where Shri Gurudev was born and where he grew and studied. The house was initially taken on a rental basis and in 1976, the Trust purchased it. The old structure of the house was modified into a prayer hall; the room where Shri Gurudev studied and the other room where his mother meditated were preserved. A regular daily programme of Meditation, Bhajan, Aarti, Dasabodh pothi reading and weekly Pravachan was introduced. An annual Meditation Saptah during the period Jun 29 to July 3 which marks the birth anniversary of Shri Gurudev was also started. Disciples from Mumbai, Pune, Solapur, Bijapur, Hubli, Bangalore and other distant locations continue to participate in this 'Jayanti Saptah'.

Initially, toilet and bathroom facilities were not adequate and therefore the majority of lady disciples had to visit their friends and relatives for the morning chore. Many male sadhakas also had to visit their friends and relatives for this job in view of inadequate facilities and acute shortage of water. These conditions remained till Aug 1998 because the Trustees in command had limited resources of funds.

In 1997, Shri Motilalji Lahoti, the then President of the Trust, expired. All the concerned disciples of Shri Gurudev at Nimbal and the Trustees in power concluded that it is essential to nominate a President who would demonstrate an all round interest in the Trust's objects and activities. Shri M N. Khandekar was chosen as the New President on 18 Aug 1998.



Renovation work - Phase 1

After the appointment of the new President, the Trustees raised funds from disciples and completed significant work such as:

  • Digging of a bore well, ensuring adequate supply of water.
  • Providing 4 toilets and 4 bath rooms.
  • Provision of drinking water facilities and wash basins along with adequate lighting.
  • Suitable renovation of the 'Prayer hall altar' in black granite.
  • A 'Paduka Pedestal' made of black granite with a provision for Pradakshina was installed on 21st June 1999 at 11.00 pm (2300 hours)

During the 'Jayanti Saptah' from June 29th to July 3rd 1999, around 80 disciples were in attendance and all were comfortably accomodated with no disciple having to go outside for the morning chore.

In the same year, the Trustees therefore started conducting the 'Vaikuntha Chaturdashi Saptah' lasting for 3 days to commemorate the day when Shri Gurudev was initiated.



Renovation work - Phase 2

Because of the improved facilities, the number of disciples visiting Paramarth Mandir Jamkhandi increased and the need was felt to provide additional floor space to be able to accommodate more disciples. It was therefore decided to construct two additional floors.

The following construction work described in sections A and B was undertaken on a priority basis and completed successfully in time for the 2001 'Vaikuntha Chaturdashi Saptah' which marked the 100th Anniversary of Shri Gurudev receiving the divine Nama from Shri Bhausaheb Maharaj, the great saint of Umadi:

A

  1. A large new Hall on the 1st floor.
  2. Four toilets and four bathrooms on the 1st floor.
  3. Staircase leading to the Hall on the 1st floor.
  4. Three additional rooms, one on the 1st floor and two on the 2nd floor.
  5. Staircase leading to rooms on the 2nd floor and further leading to the Terrace open to sky.
  6. Water proofing of Terrace with provision for a Mandap to meet demand during the Saptah period.
  7. New 4 feet wide Entrance to Paramarth Mandir with opening on Gurudeo Ranade Marg.

B

  1. Replacement of the roof of Shri Gurudev's study room with steel girders and Tandoor tiles on top.
  2. Plastering with water proof treatment of Shri Gurudev's study room and provision of built-in wall cupboards.
  3. Conversion of the existing store room into an office.
  4. Renovation of the existing kitchen.
  5. Plastering with waterproof treatment of Matoshri's (Shri Gurudev's mother) room.

Mezzanine floor work above Shri Gurudev's study room, storeroom and kitchen was not undertaken as approval was not received from the local Muncipality.

The construction work described in sections A and B above was undertaken on 1st March 2001 and was completed as per plan by 20th November 2001.

In addition, work of publication of literature on Paramartha and reprinting of earlier published books was undertaken.